Man United captain Bruno Fernandes equalised on 71 minutes, with the game staying level at 1-1 at the end of 90 minutes and extra time. Joshua Zirkzee and Victor Lindelof failed to score from the spot and Fulham progressed to the quarter-finals where they will be hosting Crystal Palace in furtherance of their cup campaign.
The 25-year-old, who is Black and plays for Nigeria, was targeted by United fans after they saw their team lose on penalties to the Cottagers at Old Trafford on Sunday. He received several messages of a racist nature including being referred to as a monkey and told to "go back to his own country".
Bassey was born in Italy but moved to England as a young child, growing up in Newham in London. As the bile continued to pile, the Nigeria international took to his social media handles to share some of the horrific abuse he was subjected to online.
The attacks were so virulent that Fulham said they are “utterly appalled” at racist and homophobic abuse received by their star player, vowing to take the “strongest form of action” against persons who had sent abusive messages.
The abuse faced by Bassey adds to a troubling pattern of discrimination in football. Manchester City's Kyle Walker had faced online racist abuse after their loss to Juventus in the Champions League in December.
Last month, City forward Khadija Shaw missed a match for mental health reasons after facing racist abuse following a loss to Arsenal in the Women's Super League. Other players who have suffered a similar fate are Abdoulaye Doucoure and Joe Willock.
Credit: VON
These incidents have once again highlighted the pervasive issue of online abuse faced by footballers, particularly those from minority backgrounds. Calls are growing for social media platforms to take more proactive measures to combat online hate and hold perpetrators accountable.
The chief executive of the anti-discrimination group, Kick It Out, Samuel Okafor recently described the issue as reaching a "crisis point" in English football. This adds to the clamour for a collective effort that would eradicate discrimination from football.
Fulham, Premier League, NFF Blow Hot
While decrying the insults hurled at its defender, Fulham “strongly condemn this abhorrent behaviour which has no place in football or society. Such actions are entirely unacceptable, and we stand in full support of Calvin Bassey, who will continue to receive our full backing.”
The club said they are working with the relevant authorities to identify the perpetrators and take the “strongest form of action against them.”
Weighing in as well, the Nigerian Football Federation (NFF) says it “stands firmly against all forms of discrimination, including racial abuse, and fully supports Calvin Bassey in the face of these unacceptable actions.
“We are committed to creating a safe, inclusive, and respectful environment for all players, both on and off the field. Calvin has our unwavering support, and together, we will continue to fight against racism in football and society.”
On its part, the Premier League said it was "appalled" by the attacks on Bassey, vowing to “work with social media companies and authorities to help ensure any individuals found guilty of discrimination face the strongest possible consequences.”
Conclusion
Credit: Sky Sports
It is interesting to note that a club can take “the strongest form of action” against trolls who target their players and that the Premier League can visit “the strongest possible consequences” on such elements yet previous instances were left without remediation. Is it then a wonder that acts of aggression and discrimination persist in global football?
It is for this reason that Sportblot hopes the reactions above aren’t perfunctory or a mere play to the gallery. The Premier League says it has through its initiative No Room for Racism, collaborated with clubs and fans, the FA, EFL, PFA, Kick It Out (KIO) and the police to fight against discrimination on and off the pitch, promoting equality, diversity and inclusion across all areas of football.
This mechanism should be activated and optimised so that Bassey can get justice. That is the only way that their condemnation of the racist and homophobic abuse can mean something. With the KIO observing that the level of abuse in English football had "reached crisis point", whatever can kick it out must be explored and maximised. All talk without concrete action won’t cut it.
Related News
U17 AFCON: The Launchpad for African Football Legends
Mar 26, 2025
One Good Turn Returns Patrice Motsepe as CAF President
Mar 23, 2025
Saudi Beating Europe in Africa Football Migration?
Mar 21, 2025